Fundraising Pitch Attacks American Families and Service Members
Washington – Despite Americans’ strong desire for a focus on jobs and the economy, the RNC today crawled into the “way back” machine and pulled a page out of Karl Rove’s old playbook attacking lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people to score cheap political points. The RNC’s web-based attack on President Obama’s re-election campaign, entitled “Hope Isn’t Hiring” resorts to the same tired and divisive politics that rightly make Americans think of Fred Flintstone when they think of the Grand Old Party.
“It’s just mind-blogging that with all of the challenges that face us as Americans, the Republican Party apparatus would resort to this demeaning fundraising stunt so that the red-meat crowd will become energized,” said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest civil rights organization dedicated to LGBT equality. “The garbage on this website makes it quite clear that the party continues to misread the priorities of the American people. Hate is never a winning strategy.”
In the RNC’s “Case Against Obama: Social Issues,” the party attacks the president’s support of basic principles of fairness and equality for all Americans: “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal, hospital visitation, housing nondiscrimination and relationship recognition. In growing numbers, Americans from all walks of life support treating their LGBT family members, friends, co-workers and neighbors equally.
The RNC’s vitriol is not consistent with the beliefs of Americans, including the members of their own party:
· According to an ABC News/Washington Post poll last year, 77 percent of Americans supported allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military. According to a November 2010 Pew Research Center Poll, 63 percent of moderate Republicans and 47 percent of Republicans overall supported open service. A May 2010 Gallup poll found that 53% of conservatives supported open service.
· Just a few weeks ago, an ABC News/Washington Post poll found that 53 percent of Americans support marriage equality. A growing number of Republicans are beginning to support the same rights, benefits and obligations for all Americans irrespective of their sexual orientation. The same ABC News/Washington Post poll found that 31 percent of Republicans overall and 29 percent of conservatives support marriage equality. Last year, the Pew Research Center found that 41 percent of moderate and liberal Republicans supported marriage for all Americans.
· According to a 2009 Pew Research Center poll, 58 percent of Republicans believe that gays and lesbians “face a lot of discrimination.”
It appears that the RNC has horribly misread the strong opinions of Americans. An HRC/Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research Poll conducted last month found:
· Sixty-nine percent of Americans believe that the Republican Congress is doing a fair or poor job of focusing on issues important to the American people.
· Eighty percent of Americans believe that Republican Congress is doing a fair or poor job creating jobs and improving the economy.
· Seventy-one percent of Americans believe that the Republican Congress is doing a fair or poor job of keeping their campaign promises. And 74 percent believe that the Republican majority is doing a fair or poor job of dealing with the federal deficit.
· When giving a list of priorities, 54 percent of Americans rated the economy and jobs as their top priority; only 5 percent of Americans rated gay marriage as their top priority.
The Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality. By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
Comment by Pamela on 2012-03-29 19:28:32
The subtle wits of American ldraees fly high and low – why? – that is because the past stands too deeply engrained in them and they want to live with it for their moments of excellence – Sarah Palin the excellent lady continues to give a plus to Obama on his creative charge and in that sense, she is indirectly doing good service for America. Republicans should be happy to learn this Truth that has brought America to the state of Light for Obama to pick on it.One thing good about American Democracy is it is “truly participating” and lasting with lessons for others to follow in modernity to tap blue horizons of life.Those blue horizons just do not end in economics that has many minds to tap the financial barometer of the country self educative in working of its affluent class and ordinary class both domestically and internationally relating to perfection with budgeting of money in economic plans that have been existing and are in the process to move charismatically with a tide over where bipartisan element also comes into play well integrated to test the mettle of the top leader of the country who has to stand over the continuous democratic element evolving of the country both in economic as well as inherently in spiritual terms for the good of the people at large mixing with the culture of exchange that has humanity behind it to survive?? By nature, the present President of America has that element in him – I should not be saying this but I am being inherently made to convey this as comment of exception for America and for Obama whose whole (Obama and his better half) stand as an extension through the ex Presidential candidate’s Charisma Of the Secretary Hillary Clinton that President Obama’s Charisma has selflessly absorbed for function in the cabinet gracefully for America and the world.That shows the humbleness of President Obama and maturity of Hillary Clinton of acceptance without a feeling of high and low of ego regarded as exceptional in Divinity.I was not supposed to make this comment and I have done so to urge the Republicans to accept their Light within of consensus through individual projections under control as Obama’s gesture of bipartisanship that will come to address.In short, this comment is all about health and health care where economics alone does not come into the picture with a rigorous analysis on it but should also extend as leverage to the person in play (Obama) who is also selflessly poised with corrections on it over the infra structure of it that he has proposed for approval as ego of his working element as the executive public ally chosen as the President that had appealed to the public at large voting even putting behind able ldraees like McCain?George W Bush was the last to steer America into the Light over the past of America and that stands as the subtle truth even today as on date with Bill Clinton the ex President of America giving support through his excellent independent caliber for Obama ultimately to head the show of America that was time bound of its reality that sees no barriers and to which he accepted well in his individual capacity as the free lance ex President of America. I have to stop here because it basically conveys the essence of this communication for Obama today that he is today to execute for America and the world at large?? – I do not see ego hassles when I am on my draft of communications because they flow spontaneously through me in my absolute “switch off” capacity from the lower realms of life as a being of life for the Being that I am for life.I thank all for bearing with me or rejecting me at the mind levels because that is how I am poised for all life to relish me as food.
Please login or register to add comments